Red Wine Chocolate Cake
- posted in: Recipes
RED WINE CHOCOLATE CAKE! This is one of those cakes you simply need to make, especially when you have some leftover wine (is that a thing?) This cake requires no eggs, milk or butter and is super simple to make. The ingredients list include staple items that most everyone has in their pantry. This easy 406 Cafe chocolate cake recipe will take mere minutes to make, so give it a try – and let us know what you think in the comments below… let’s get started!
Red Wine Chocolate Cake Recipe
When you don’t have the eggs on hand, or enough butter or even milk, but need a dessert that shines, this red wine chocolate cake serves up happiness. Another great recipe from the 406 Cafe staff! Follow these simple cake-making instructions and you’ll have made the swankiest, most-moist chocolate cake. Let’s get started, check on these ingredients:
Chocolate Cake Ingredients
These measurements are precise. The ingredients list should be followed to ensure a great red wine chocolate cake. Like in the Easy Chocolate Cake recipe, we’re again using baking soda and vinegar to give this cake it’s rise. You’ll want to add the warm water to the wet ingredients mix to break down the sugar better. Note: the white vinegar is the last thing you’ll add to the final bowl. This step should take less than 30 seconds of mixing.
TIP: Add in the white vinegar as the last ingredient and don’t over-mix!
- 1 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Unbleached Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/3 Cup Cocoa Powder
- OPTIONAL: 1/2 Cup Chocolate Chips
- 1 Cup of Brown or White sugar
- 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Cup of Warm Water
- 2/3 Cup of Red Wine
- 2 Tablespoon White Vinegar (ADDED TO FINAL MIX AT THE VERY END – DO NOT MIX WITH WET INGREDIENTS)
- (OPTIONAL) 1 Teaspoon Instant Coffee
- 9″ x 9″ Cake pan (or glass pan, which is what was used for this recipe)
- 2 Large Bowls (1 to mix dry ingredients and 1 bowl for wet ingredients)
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- OPTIONAL: Parchment Paper 9″ x 9″ round
Cake Recipe Instructions
- Pre-heat oven to 340˚ Fahrenheit. Line your 9″x9″ pan with parchment paper and grease the sides with a bit of vegetable oil. Or you can simply grease and flour.
- Sift all dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Using spatula, mix well to incorporate the cocoa powder; set aside
- In the other large bowl, add the 3/4 cup red wine, sugar, salt, vegetable oil, vanilla (and optional instant coffee); mixing well.
- Add in the 1/2 cup of warm water and mix for 1 minute. This should be enough time to melt down the sugar.
- Combine the wet ingredients to the dry. Using a spatula (or spoon), mix well for 20 seconds.
- Drop in the 2 tablespoons of white vinegar and mix well for another 30 seconds. Do not over-mix.
- Pour the cake batter into the 9″x9″ pan. Place on MIDDLE RACK in oven.
- Depending on your oven, this chocolate cake may take 22 to 26 minutes to bake.
We didn’t forget you XXX chocolate lovers. Make a simple ganache to cover this cake and let cool for about an hour. Puts this red wine cake right over the top!
Ganache Recipe: 1/2 cup of heavy cream and 1/2 cup of chocolate – warm in microwave at 20 second intervals and mix until creamy. Or the stovetop method. Once creamy simply pour over red wine chocolate cake and let cool in the refrigerator for a few hours. Follow this link for a simple ganache recipe.
We hope you find this recipe useful and helps to make a great chocolate cake your friends or family will enjoy. What do you think about this homemade red wine chocolate cake recipe? Did you know that it’s also vegan (if you don’t add the chocolate chips). Please let us know in the comment section below! Please also take a moment to share this recipe with your friends and family on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter!